Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Beginning...of PETER AND THE VAMPIRES!

Hey, everybody - welcome to PETER AND THE VAMPIRES!

My name is Darren Pillsbury. Some of you may know me from imaginaryfriendscomic.com. I wrote and self-published a novel called IMAGINARY FRIENDS (available here from amazon.com - go read the reviews!), and illustrated about a third of it in graphic novel form. For the time being, I'm taking a break from illustrating and working on my next book...

PETER AND THE VAMPIRES.

It's the story of a regular 10-year-old kid whose family moves into the creepy old mansion owned by his grandfather. As soon as he does, bad things start happening. It's like a cross between THE X-FILES and THE SIMPSONS (if Mr. Burns were a ghoul and something horrible lived in the town dump).

Each book is composed of four stories; I've finished the first four and am currently rewriting the next book (PETER AND THE WEREWOLVES). In an attempt to get some feedback (and maybe some fans!) I'm going to be posting a page a day from now until...well, when I run out of pages.

First up: "Peter And The Dead Men," the first story from the first book. The title says it all.

Enjoy, comment - and keep coming back! Remember, a new page every day!

I'd say turn out the lights, too, but things won't really get really scary until about day 16...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like Peter and the Dead Men so far. You've establish a good atmosphere, and have a realistic feel for kids, Dill & Peter getting to know each other, Peter's narrative thought. Set up and suspense is well paced. An ocean, old house, freaks in town, ah, the places Peter will go.

I'm looking forward to more.

Is 'Dill' a nod toward "To Kill a Mockingbird" ?
:)

I'm hoping, that as the series continues, Grandpa shows some less stereotypical behavior (as the wacked out quasi-antagonist) and actually provides Peter with some candor regarding the property's peculiar inhabitants.

He did mention that Peter got the window bedroom, because he thought if anything came through, that Peter was the most likely to handle it.

Great stuff! I do read a lot of children's lit and this ought to hold a kid's attention. 'Tis less campy than Goosebumps, by far.

-A.C. Herbst
erekose42@att.net